SILly moo cider - It's been quite a journey!
Silly Moo Sussex Cider is a marriage of East and West Country cider styles - a civilised farmhouse cider, pressed and fermented here on the farm at Trenchmore. Our orchard has over nineteen varieties of traditional cider apple trees - bittersweet, sharp and bittersharp apples, which we planted in 2011. These are blended with apples from the gardens of Sussex which are brought to our farm in the Autumn to be swapped for cider.
Made once a year in the autumn means that every year the cider is slightly different reflecting the Sussex terroir - it's soils, the year's weather and the amazing variety of apples our swappers bring in.
Our 2016 swap was a great success - we took in a whopping 12 tonnes of surplus Sussex apples and our swappers collect their cider in the spring. We look forward to repeating the swap this autumn. If you want to get involved in our apple swap, please sign up to our newsletter for more details.
Full of fresh apple aromas, bottled Silly Moo is a medium dry 4.8% ABV slightly sparkling cider. Golden in colour and made from only freshly pressed Sussex apple juice and yeast, no added sugar or sweeteners. Unpasteurised our cider is carefully filtered to keep it fresh (and stop it fermenting further).
The name came about as our cows go a little bit silly when they get the chance to devour the apple pomace left behind from pressing the juice - Silly Moos!
Silly Moo Unfiltered is now available on draft. Cloudy and delicious, please contact Andrew@trenchmore.co.uk for more information
Silly Moo Cider can be found at:
- The White Horse - Maplehurst
- The Royal Oak - Wineham
- The George & Dragon - Dragons Green
- Bailiffscourt - Climping
- The Fountain - Ashurst
- The Countryman - Shipley
- The Spread Eagle - Midhurst
- The Rose & Crown - Cuckfield
- The Crabtree - Lower Beading
- The Black Jug - Horsham
- Lucky Beach - Brighton
- The Countryman Inn - Shipley
- The Bull - Ditchling
- The Shepherd and Dog - Fulking
- The Bull - Henfield
- Stansted Park Shop - Rowlands Castle
- The Railway Inn - Billingshurst
- The Windmill Inn - Littleworth
- The Shelley Arms - Broadbridge Heath
- Amberley Stores - Amberley
- The Union Jack Farm Shop - Cowfold
- Hilliers Farm Shop - Horsham
- Crates - Horsham
- Rushfields Farm Shop - Henfield
- Middle Farm - Lewes
- South Down Cellars - Hurstpierpoint & Lindfield
- Chapel Down - Tenterden
- South Downs Heritage Centre - Hassocks
- Billys On The Beach - Bracklesham
- Hennings Wine Shops
- New House Farm Shop - Faygate
- Middle Farm - Lewes
If you're a shop, pub or restaurant and would like a sample please let us know and we'll drop it in. We have had to drink a lot of cider to work out what we like - please let us know what you think.